While some might argue that buying spice mixes make things easier, I completely disagree! I can’t tell you how many times I found myself making tacos only to discover that I was out of taco seasoning packets! One day I decided I’d had enough! From then on I’ve made my own taco seasoning and never looked back. Not only do my tacos taste better, I’m saving money and I love that I know exactly what’s going into my food.
Made with only 9 spices that I can guarantee are in your spice cabinet right now, this mix comes together in no time! You can easily adjust it if you like more or less heat, but I’ll say that this particular recipe is right in the middle. It’s spicy enough for me, but my toddler (who doesn’t like spicy foods) also enjoys it.
I usually triple the recipe so that I have enough on hand to last me a while. Just put it all in the jar you’re going to store it in and give it a good shake! This mixture isn’t just for tacos- it’s perfect for chicken tacos, taquitos, and fajitas!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a glass jar and store in your pantry.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons and 1/2 cup of water per one pound of ground beef.
This mix is also great on chicken tacos, taquitos, and fajitas!