Nope, I didn’t get a maid! By doing this ONE easy thing every day my kitchen is always clean! Wanna know what it is?! Drum roll please…… I wipe everything down at least once a day.
I can hear you- “What? That’s it? How does that keep her kitchen clean? It’s just wiping…” I’ll tell you why- because wiping is just the action that you can see. What you can’t see is what makes it possible for that one action to keep my kitchen so clean. I have ZERO clutter in my kitchen. I am the queen of baskets, bins, and keeping everything as out of sight as possible. My kitchen counters are home to only the essentials and one or two decorations to give it some homeyness. When I wipe down my kitchen I pick up everything that actually lives on the counter and wipe under it. Every. Single. Time. If i had a bunch of stuff all over my counters this would be impossible! I also wipe down all the surfaces of my appliances, both large and small, and the window sills. This doesn’t really take as long as you would think. Because everything gets wiped down at least once a day there’s not a lot of grime to scrub off, just maybe some light dust and whatever I was cooking with.
Here’s what the process looks like:
1. I cook. (See my recipes for some ideas there!)
2. I do the dishes. (Actually, a lot of the time Hubby does them. What?! Yeah, he’s awesome.)
3. After cleaning the sink I wring out the soapy rag so that it’s damp, but not super wet. I then start at one end of the counter and start wiping. Usually that’s the end with the stove. I make sure to wipe down the stove top, oven door, knobs, and microwave door. (If I used the microwave and things spattered in there I will wipe that down too.)
4. Next I wipe down the counter on the other side of the oven and the sink area. I make sure to get the handles and the faucet.
5. After that it’s pretty much all counter space at this point. I pick up the fruit basket, coffee maker, cookie jar (which actually houses my coffee filters), and all the decorations and wipe under them as I go. I also make sure to wipe off the toaster oven, coffee maker, jar, and window sill.
And that’s it! It’s that simple- just wipe everything down! If you can keep your counter space clutter free it’s that much easier and will have such a huge impact in making your home look clean!
Try it for one week and tell me what you think!